Labels

Sunday, November 19, 2017

GSU 25 Connectors: 2 hours

I got the connectors for the GSU 25 ADAHRS done except for the CAN bus which will have to be done in place. This is because the ADAHRS CAN bus connects to the wiring for the autopilot servos which is already in.

The CAN bus is a reliable daisy chain network that connects most of the avionics. However it could be a single point of failure so Garmin has a back up data line between an ADAHRS and a flight display. I wired this between the #1 ADAHRS and the main PFD.  Now if the primay network fails I will still have all the information I need to control the airplane in bad weather.

I also decided I would put in the second VFR GPS antenna under the cowl and connect it to the MFD. It weighs very little and gives a bit more redundancy. Also both flight displays can share the good GPS data if one antenna is having a problem.

Two VFR GPS antennae:

GSU 25 wiring complete aside from CAN bus:

Back up RS-232 connection between ADAHRS 1 and the main flight display: