Labels

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Firewall forward and empennage fairing: 6 hours


  • After reviewing the various options for oil cooler mounting I have decided to change strategy and mount the oil cooler on the engine mount using adel clamps. This keeps the firewall clear for the control cables. The only downside is that I have to fabricate a 90 degree elbow adapter out of fiberglass for the oil cooler air input.
  • After finishing riveting the battery boxes and doing some sanding on the empennage fairing I started working on the mold for my oil cooler duct.
  • I had some foam from an Aircraft Spruce fiberglass intro kit that I glued together into a block then shaped into my duct.
  • This foam is very similar to floral foam and will be easy (I hope) to break out of the finished fiberglass duct.
  • I coated the mold with e6000 adhesive which will be waxed before doing a wet layup over it.


Sacrificial mold for oil cooler air duct:

Getting there on the empennage fairing:

Last step for battery boxes is to drill mounting holes and paint: