Labels

Monday, December 19, 2016

Started vertical stabilizer mounting: 3 hours


  • Before starting to fit the vertical stabilizer I removed the horizontal stabilizer and deburred all the holes on the stab and the fuselage then re-attached the horizontal stab.
  • I made the vertical stabilizer attachment bracket and elevator up travel stop out of a piece of 1/8" angle. The first version turned out undersized so I made another more generously sized.
  • I located the forward attachment bracket and started researching the best way to get everything lined up.
  • While working on this I noticed that the elevator down stop on the quick build fuselage will need to be trimmed significantly to get the correct travel. I sent an email to Van's to verify.
This photo show the vertical stab attach bracket / elevator up stop. Also you can see the over sized elevator down stop under the elevator bearing.

Forward attach bracket and rear attach angle:

First draft of the attach bracket / up stop before trimming: