Labels

Sunday, December 18, 2016

Finished horizontal stabilizer mounting: 2 hours


  • I spent a significant amount of time checking that the incidence of the horizontal stabilizer was correct. I did this by using two 3/16" aluminum tubes through the stab's nose ribs tooling holes. This stab is the new one incorporating the service bulletin and on my aft ribs (hs-00005) the tooling holes are not aligned with the chord line. The stab turned out perfectly level using the standard Van's shims - no adjustment required.
  • I carefully located the bottom aft attach holes first and drilled starting with a #30 bit and working up to a 3/16" reamer. I got a nice tight fit for the AN3 bolts.
  • Once the bottom holes were drilled and the stab was temporarily bolted in place I removed the clamps and drilled the upper two holes.

All aft attach holes turned out great:

Another shot looking forward with all holes drilled:

First hole done:

Everything turned out level without adjustments: