Labels

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Tunnel cover rework, aileron trim and BRS handle research: 8 hours

I got the tunnel cover rivet repaired which was more involved than I originally anticipated. I ended up riveting in a small doubler plate on the inside of the cover. It turned out great and I got the everthing cleaned up and primed.

I also located the hole and installed a plate nut for the tunnel cover in the spar floor.

A large amount of time was spent trying to determine the best way to fit the aileron trim and the BRS activation handle assembly in the tunnel together without interfering with the elevator pushrod. This involved phone calls and emails to the BRS engineer who worked on the system for the RV-7. This is a new project for them so a lot of the details such as this are not set in stone. For now we are going to look at handle locations forward of the spar and go ahead with the aileron trim install.

Completed tunnel cover: