Labels

Monday, September 3, 2012

Working on elevator and trim tab ends: 1.7 hours

I bent the trim tab to its correct angle then cleco'd it and the left elevator together so I could check the fit and figure out the best way to close out the ends of the trim tabs and the elevator where the trim tab cutout is.

I was able to measure the angle of the trailing edge and make some wood bending blocks to test the fit.

The plans have you doing a tight 90 degree bend on these little tabs to form the ends. Another option is to cut the tabs off and fabricate a small rib to go in their place.

I'm leaning towards trying the bends as per the plans. If that doesn't work out I will cut them off and make the mini ribs.

 

Left elevator and trim tab:
 

These protruding tabs have to be bent over to close out the ends on each piece ... Tricky!