Labels

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Bent trim tab end then started on alternate plan: 4 hours

I did several practice bends on scrap aluminum. The first was not good but after several tries they looked good.

The plans have you bending the tabs on the elevator skin first but I took the advice of other builders and worked on the trim tab first because it's a much cheaper part and I don't have any time invested in it.

I got everything clamped and did the bends. The actual bend turned out very good but unfortunately in the process of clamping the oak blocks to the skin I put a small dent in the trim tab so it's going to the scrap pile. I have also decided that I won't be doing any more of these bends because there are to many variable and chance for error.

I spent the rest of time time working on making mini ribs.

 

First bend good:
 

Second bend good, but if you look at the left end of the upper block it is to far to the left and this put a dent in the trim tab.