Labels

Monday, September 17, 2012

More trim tab: 8.9 hours

I got the trim tab spar countersunk to accept the flush rivets and fit the hinge on the bottom. I then also got the trim tab horns shaped and drilled to the trim tab skin. After that I took everything apart and prepped it for priming. I primed everything then was able to rivet everything on the bottom of the trim tab.

The problem showed up when I went to align the trim tab with the left elevator. The trailing edge of both pieces needs to line up perfectly. Unfortunately where I had drilled the piano hinge for the trim tab didn't give me enough room for the rivets on the elevator. The instructions are very vague on this process.

I spent several hours checking alignment, etc. etc. I finally decided to order a new hinge from aircraft spruce. I also did a good bit of internet research and saw how other builders were drilling the hinge. I feel like round two with the hinge will go fine.

 

Fine tuning the trim tab alignment.