Labels

Thursday, January 11, 2018

Wiring and avionics: 7 hours

The following items were done over several days:
  • I spoke with the Garmin G3X support rep about the problems I was having with the GDU 450 MFD left inner knob and the end result was that the unit needed to be sent in. It was under warranty so no problem. They actually have sent me a new unit and I have sent the defective one to them.
  • I installed my new seat heater switch to replace the left side one where the LED indicators did not work. One big change here was a switch to Deutsch DTM connectors. I was using mini molex 4 pin connectors before but they were marginal. The Deutsch connectors are a huge improvement - they are expensive but worth it.
  • I went ahead and changed out my other 4 pin mini molex connectors for the cabin and instrument panel lights to Deutsch DTM. The mini molex 4 pin connectors had been extremely difficult to connect. The Deutsch connectors are easy to connect and very high quality.
  • I installed the wiring for the instrument panel lights. For connectors I used the mini molex 2 pin. For connections that are not exposed to moisture and just have 2 conductors the mini molex work fine.
  • In the future for any connector with more than 2 pins or in a possible damp environment I will be using the Deutsch DTM's.
  • I started installing the wiring for the dual electronic ignition. In sorting out the supplied EFII wiring harness I decided I was not happy with the D-Sub backshells used. The screws were too long and bottomed out when attaching to the engine computers and the backshells did not have any real strain relief. I had some extra Garmin backshells so I used those for one engine computer and ordered more from Steinair for the other. The Garmin backshells are top notch.
  • I also came up with a plan to run the tubing for the manifold pressure sensors.


3/4's of the EFII electronic ignition harness in place (will stay loose until engine is hung)

One manifold pressure sensor connected (all of this wiring will be organized later!)

Deutsch DTM connectors (gray) for panel and cabin lighting (highly recommended):

Old switch vs. new switch with DTM connector (gray):