Labels

Sunday, January 28, 2018

Fuel pump, tunnel cover, stick adjustment, stick wiring, etc: 21 hours

The following was done over the last week:

  • Permanently installed the electric fuel pump, filter and all plumbing for fuel in the cabin. I also checked the torque on all fuel fittings in the cabin.
  • Checked the fit on the tunnel cover and found that the wire bundles don't fit behind the stock tunnel cover.
  • Modified the tunnel cover by dividing it into three pieces and fabricating a new middle piece and mount. This took a lot of time but turned out good and gives me extra room to work with.
  • I was getting ready to install the control sticks but I happened to read on the VAF forum where guys had run into interference problems with the stick and the engine controls . I had trimmed my stick tubes to clear the panel but did not have the engine controls in place. When I checked this I found that I had the same problem so I trimmed the sticks about an inch shorter.
  • Permanently installed right stick mount.
  • Wired right stick with RC servo connectors to so stick can be removed without major hassle.
  • Connected right stick wiring to stick terminals.
  • Permanently installed left stick and wired to stick terminals.
  • Did initial test of stick functions - so far all checks good.
  • Installed click bond wire tie mount in tunnel to guarantee wires clear elevator push / pull tube. Also installed click bond plate nuts for empennage fairing. The plate nuts work great. I will order more to use on the removable fiberglass empennage tips.


Fuel pump and all fuel lines in cabin installed:

Another angle:

New tunnel cover plate:

Tunnel cover modifications in progress:

Throttle could interfere with stick movement:

Trimming stick using hose clamp as guide:

Wiring right stick with RC servo connectors:

Fitting right stick wiring:

RC servo connector clips keep the connections secure:

Left stick installed and wiring connected (this will get organized):

Wire tie mount in tunnel:

Click bond nut plate curing (these are very nice!):