Labels

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Worked on pitot tube and mount: 3.7

I got the pitot tube backing plate and mount ready for assembly. A fair amount of time was spent researching what other builders have done. This is one of the items that is completely up to the builder.

Once I located the place I wanted to mount the tube I had to do a lot of careful drilling and cutting on the bottom wing skin.

I also spent a lot of time cleaning up the actual Gretz pitot tube mount. Finally I drilled and tapped the $450 Dynon pitot tube for mounting. It's was a bit stressful because if you drill to far you can ruin the unit.

 

Locating the backing plate:
 

Using the rivet fan to locate rivet holes on the backing plate: (This is how most rivets were located before the advent of computer punched skins.)