Labels

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Worked on landing light lens and stall warner: 4.6 hours

Got the left landing light lens trimmed and drilled for mounting inside the wing. I also got the parts that make up the stall warning sensor drilled and countersunk. I'm about ready to remove the leading edge and get it ready to be riveted.

Trimming the plexiglas lens took a while but was easy due to some tips I picked up on the Vans Air Force forum. The important one was using an oscillating cutter for the plexiglas. I used my Bosch battery powered unit and it worked great. Very easy to control. I also was careful to keep the plexiglas warm which makes it less prone to cracking. All of this will make me more confident for down the road when I have to cut the very expensive canopy.

Ready to trim. (I found the clamp was not necessary because the oscillating cutter was so easy to control.)
 


Lens temporarily mounted:
 

From the inside out: