Labels

Saturday, February 22, 2020

Initial Sikaflex windscreen install

I was able to get the first phase of the windscreen install done today. I'm happy with the results so far. I think all of the prep work will pay off.

I went ahead and installed the defog fans. (I'm really looking forward to "permanently" installing the instrument panel and all the avionics!)
 

Windscreen taping in progress:

 Fuselage taping done:

Windscreen primed with Sika 209D (used the "Aktivator 205" first):

Fuselage primed:

First application of Sikaflex 295UV after some smoothing. I taped some weights to the windscreen to help close a small gap in the front.

I'm going to let the Sikaflex cure for a few days then I will remove the clips and spacers. I will clean everything up and apply a more Sikaflex and try to get a nice finish on the inside of the canopy. I will also be adding some weatherstrip to the inside and the outside will be covered by a fiberglass layup.