Labels

Monday, January 2, 2017

Started wing root fairings & misc: 4 hours

  • Temporarily installed the cockpit fuel valve then marked the right side fuel line for where the flare needs to be located so when the wings come off I can put on the fuel line fitting.
  • I then started working on the wing root fairings. The left side started out well but unfortunately I let the angle drill move while match drilling a hole and the first fairing part was damaged.
  • I ordered a new part from Vans (part cost $18, shipping probably $50!) and used the other fairing piece to continue work on the left side.
  • I got the left fairing drilled to the wing and fuel tank then opened up the holes on the fuselage to wing skin underneath for #8 screws.
  • Lastly I marked the fairing for a 3/16" gap for the rubber weatherstripping

Marking the fairing with a cut off piece of 3/16" thick angle:

Left wing fairing drilled:

Spent a fair amount of time down here:

Starting on the first (botched) fairing:

Right fuel line will be trimmed and flared after the wings come off: