Labels

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Final inside sika layer and skirt pin hole filling: 6 hours


  • Wiped with sika 205 Aktivator then primed with sika 206 primer
  • Applied and smoothed sika 295 one section at a time. I used my home made delrin "tool" for shaping the sika.
  • Everything turned out very well. One thing that made it easier was preheating the sika to about 85f. I also started out with a larger hole in the dispensing nozzle.

  • Cleaned off the inside of the canopy skirt with acetone
  • Brushed on and squeegeed in a layer of System Three clear coat epoxy.
  • This is the first time I have used this epoxy and I did not realize how long it takes to cure. After more research I found that this epoxy is better for pin hole filling on more smooth finished pieces and doing it in one coat.
  • After waiting for the epoxy to get tacky I put on 2 more coats. After the last coat I rolled it with an epoxy roller. Next time I fill some thing kind of rough like this I will use West epoxy with the fast harder. However, I believe that this epoxy will be fine (it just took a lot longer) and if not I can sand and apply another coat of it or West.
Finished skim coating the skirt:

Very happy with how the sika turned out: