Labels

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Rudder cables, fairings and fresh air intakes: 6 hours

I went ahead and got the rudder cables installed from the tail forward stopping just short of the forward cockpit area.

I also got the rudder cable fairings installed which involved laying out rivet holes, match drilling, dimpling etc. I used my new alodine pen to protect the mating surfaces from corrosion. The alodine pen is a good alternative to primer for small parts. I will also be using it on antenna installs.

The rest of the time was spent prepping and installing the fresh air vent intakes. The openings for the naca inlets were already cut in the fuselage skin so I just had to do some edge finishing to get them ready. I used a pattern to lay out the plastic intake position.

Because I was bonding the intakes on with pro seal (fuel tank sealant) I scuffed all the bonded surfaces with 80 grit sandpaper and made sure they were very clean. I used a combination of duct tape and clamps to hold everything in place for curing.

 

Drilling rivet holes for rudder cable fairing:

 

Right side fairing installed:

 

Naca intake taped in place for curing:

 

Edges will be cleaned up and filled later:

 

Clamp arrangement for curing: