Labels

Thursday, March 13, 2014

More parachute install work: 6.8 hours

Good progress today on the BRS install.

I got the lower external plate all finished.

All of the various plates and reinforcements are held in by screws and bolts. All of these bolts have to be torqued to a specific torque. I have been using 25 inch lbs for the # 8 screws. This includes 15"lbs for the screws and 10"lbs drag from the lock nut.

I then installed the upper attach point gusset. In order to do this I took some time to cut out some plywood pieces to help support my weight so I could crawl into the aft fuselage.

The angle of the bend on the upper gusset was a little too much so I adjusted that and then everything went well. This piece has 16 screws and nuts that hold it in place.

I also fixed a clearance issue unrelated to the parachute but that will come into play when I rivet the upper skin on.

After that I started working on fitting the parachute canister and support rails.

 

Egress opening and frame turned out good:

 

Finished lower reinforcement plate:

Looking forward from tail at lower reinforcement angles (and riser attach points):

 

Temporary flooring:

 

Upper gusset drilling:

 

Installed and torque sealed. (Large hole is for aft parachute attach.)

 

Top view:

 

Trial fitting canister: