Labels

Thursday, January 31, 2013

More left wing riveting: 8.3 hours

After I corrected the rib flange I was able to do a fair amount of riveting along the top edge of the wing where I could reach the inside of the wing and the top of the skin. The results were as good as the back riveting method but much more controllable and consistent.

I decided that the conventional riveting was worth a try on the wing skins. I talked to Britt about it and we did a few practice rivets with her holding the tungsten bucking bar on the inside and checking the rivets. This went well so we went to work on the wing.

After using this method Britt and I both have decided that it's the way to go. Even though we started out slow we picked up speed and were able to finish all the two person riveting on the left wing. Britt did a great job on all of her rivets.

 

Only a little riveting left for the top skins!