Labels

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Ailerons and left wing riveting: 12 hours

The weather was terrible today so I spent the day working on the plane.

I finished back riveting the stiffeners to the left aileron skin so now it's ready to be bent to final shape.

I also got the 16 right aileron stiffeners cut out, edge finished and match drilled to the skin. I also deburred then scuffed the stiffeners and the skin. The skin also got the edges finished.

The rest of the time was spent working on the left wing. Britt and I spent about 2.5 hours riveting and made good progress. Unfortunately I was drilling out a bad rivet and damaged a wing rib flange. The good news is that it's repairable, the bad news is that it will probably be about 5-6 hours worth of work.

 

Rivets taped in place for back riveting:

Riveting progress!