Labels

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Lots of progress riveting rudder: 7.3 hours

I was able to do all riveting on the rudder with the exception of the trailing edge. I also installed the counterweight. Assembling the components with the pneumatic squeezer goes fast and is the most fun part of the building process.

The last thing I did was fine tune the fit of the trailing edge pieces then epoxy it together on my aluminum angle template.

Next steps will be riveting the trailing edge then rolling the leading edge.

 

Finishing the counterweight skin:
 

The installed counter weight. The orange dots (torque seal) are to indicate that the bolts have been torqued to the correct value.
 

My beautiful assistant with the squeezer. That long yoke on the squeezer made it possible to reach every rivet without having to use the rivet gun.
 

All riveted except for the trailing edge.
 

Trailing edge epoxied and curing.