Labels

Friday, January 10, 2020

Intersection fairings (wheel pant to gear leg) and engine heat power plug:

Power plug with backing plate for Reiff engine sump heaters. Plug is standard computer power supply plug and can be easily replaced. Backing plate will get attached with g-flex epoxy.

Plug location under cowl is easy to access and low profile:

Left wheel pant / intersection fairing combo after being cut off / removed from the landing gear:

Right wheel pant after fiberglass layup. (I'm happy with the expanding foam but it was definitely a learning experience. The foam is extremely easy to shape but I think the main trick is to get consistent coverage when the foam is expanding.)

Some of the foam turned out a little lumpy but it still seems to beat the other methods. Next time I would consider using a more dense foam such as 4lb.

I used a 3 layers of fiberglass for the top of the intersection fairing. These were wetted out in a stack. I used tape for the underside but I did cut off all the seams.

Right fairing after shaping:


Next time I would spend a little more time building a more accurate "dam" for the foam. I would also plan on pouring the foam in two mixes to cover the top of the gear leg better. This was about 320 grams of foam.



Checking the fiberglass dry on the left side. My fiberglass skills still need work. The glass looked good on the top but when applied it did not want to turn the corner and stick to the underside. 


The foam carves down very fast with a hacksaw blade.