Labels

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

"Rocket" style fuel vents complete: 9 hours

This work was done over two days:


  • I went with the same style of fuel vents used on the Rocket (RV modified with larger engine etc.)
  • The standard Vans vent arrangement have more complicated plumbing and run through the cockpit. The rocket vents are all contained in the wing root.
  • I added a mounting tab and an extra platenut then cut out the wing root fairing so the fairing can be removed with out having to disconnect the vent line.
  • I'm using JD Air's streamlined fuel vents and I would recommend them.
  • My vents are in slightly different locations on each side. The left side was more complicated due to having to fit in with the aerobatic fuel line arrangement.
  • The small tubing was easy to work with. I used some 4" PVC pipe as a form for the coils.
  • I also spent some time organizing the shop because we will be moving the wings back to storage for a while.



Locating the left wing vent fairing:

Tracing the vent fairing to cut out the wing fairing:

Locating the right wing vent fairing:

Left wing mounting tab in place:

Flaring the left vent tubing:

Left wing vent complete:

Right wing fairing vent cut out:

Right fuel vent - cut out is slightly oversize to get fairing on and off:

Right wing vent complete: