Labels

Friday, July 19, 2013

Worked on fuel tank and ... Canopy Arrived!: 5 hours

I spent the morning installing the many plate nuts for the fuel tank attachment to the leading edge. I also dimpled the tank and joint plate for the #8 screws that help hold it on.

Around lunch I got a call saying that my canopy had arrived at the freight terminal. It was supposed to ship from Vans with the rest of my finishing kit but there was some mix up so the canopy manufacturer shipped it direct to me from Ohio. The canopy I ordered is non standard in that it has extra UV inhibitors in the plexiglas which are supposed to keep the cockpit more cool without an extra dark tint.

The stressful part will be when I have to cut and trim the canopy into two pieces.

 

A big box for the canopy but the shipping weight was only 72lbs.

 

Looks good:

 

Plate nut progress:

 

Plate nuts finished: