Labels

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Drilled elevator horns: 4 hours

My drill bushing showed up so I was able to get the elevator horns drilled.

I did a lot of research online and ran across many builders that had messed this up. To avoid this I checked and rechecked the alignment of the elevators multiple times. The left side bearings needed some adjustment while the right was good to go from the start.

I also had to fine tune the drill bushing to get it to fit exactly in the main bearing. I did this by chucking it in the drill press and using some fine sandpaper.

It took a long time but I got the pilot holes drilled then opened up to 1/4". Everything turned out perfectly aligned. That was the last big step for the elevators.

 

The drill bushing / guide:


Checking elevator alignment ... All good!
 

Ready to drill: