Labels

Monday, October 8, 2012

Closer to finishing empennage: 8.5 hours

Got the hinge pin for the trim servo bent and secured. This gave me a chance to work with my milbar safety wire pliers. They are definitely worth the investment. I also secured the trim servo pushrod to the trim tab.

I started cleaning up the left elevator then installed the rod end bearings in both elevators. It took a fair amount of time to check the fit on the elevators with the horizontal stabilizer. During this process I marked off the areas that need to be trimmed on the horizontal stab to give the elevators proper clearance.

I then took the elevators off and trimmed the horizontal stab per the plans with the dremel then hit it with a file then scotch brite pads. It turned out good but it was time consuming.

The only thing left to do before starting the wings is drilling out the elevator horns for then main elevator bearing. Of course this is more involved than it sounds and involves fabricating some bushings, etc.


Checking the fit.
 

Checking travel with temporary hinge pins.
 

Rear spar flange pre-trim:
 

Post trim:
 

Full travel now available.