Labels

Saturday, June 9, 2018

Miscellaneous firewall forward items:


  • I worked on a variety of items firewall forward.
  • Everything went well with the exception of the prop governor controls. The bracket supplied by Vans is not compatible with the MT governor without loosening the control arm screw and sliding the arm partially off the shaft to fit the bolt in for the prop control. The first time I did this it worked fine but when I went back a second time I let the arm pop off the shaft and did not have a reference on the shaft. I decided to go ahead and send the governor back to MT in Florida and get it re-indexed for the 2700 rpm red line. It's a minor set back but I have plenty of other items to work on. I also decided to go ahead and modify the Vans bracket so this will not be an issue in the future.
  • I also measured and ordered all the firewall forward hoses from TS Flightlines. This actually took a good bit of time. No photos.


Adjusted alternator belt tension for 13 ft /lbs before slipping, then torqued and safety wired appropriate bolts:

Prop governor control bracket after modification. (The mod involved heating the bracket end with a blow torch then bending the tab almost 180 degrees - also repaint!)

Both the prop and mixture control cables will run through the center lightening hole. I used some neat grommet edging material to protect the cables from the edges.

Mocking up half Raven oil separator. I nailed down the location and drilled the bracket for the adel clamps to hold it to the motor mount. This also made it possible to measure for the sump return hose:

Installed oil cooler elbow fittings:

Throttle cable is done. This shot is mainly of the radiant heat shield. The exhaust pipes pass very close to the cable just aft of the bracket.

Another shot of the throttle cable linkage:

Left sump heater and thermostat with final bead of epoxy around edges.  I also let these heaters run all day to do the final cure on the epoxy.

Right sump heater.