Labels

Thursday, December 17, 2015

Fiberglass canopy skirt layup: 11 hours

  • Prepped and organized fiberglass supplies
  • Put another coat of mould release wax on canopy
  • Measured and cut fiberglass tape for skirt layup. I went with 4 layers and ended up cutting over one hundred pieces of fiberglass cloth tape for the layup.
  • Fabricated canopy skirt
The actual process of wetting out and laying up the individual strips for the canopy skirt took the majority of the time. I did get faster as I went. The West System epoxy pumps made mixing very easy. I also applied a peel ply finish layer that took a little longer than I thought.

On the windscreen layup I will do all prep on the day prior then just dedicate one day to the layup to make it a bit more reasonable.

Overall I'm happy with the way everything went.


Fiberglass supplies:

Cutting the fiberglass cloth tape:

Wetting out the tape pieces with resin (a lot of this):



Four layers of fiberglass:

Peel ply layer added (this does not bond but tears off and sets up for further finishing):