Labels

Friday, August 1, 2014

Pushrod, parachute handle, instrument panel and flap motor work: 5 hours

This session I accomplished the following: finished the rear spar carry through opening, prepped and primed my parachute handle bracket & trim cover, I also touched up the forward pushrod, I got the BRS handle permanently installed then double checked the fit of the cover plate and tunnel cover, and I started working on the flap motor mechanism.

I also had some fun playing with instrument panel mockups. Garmin has released a new 7" version of the G3X Touch EFIS. I'm trying to decide what combination of instruments will work the best for me.

Parachute handle installed with cover plate and tunnel cover:

This is my original and still preferred panel. This has a G3X Touch 10" EFIS, a GTN 650 nav / com / gps, a GMC 305 auto pilot control, a GRT Mini X backup EFIS and a simple panel mount for a tablet on the right. This setup leaves room for everything needed with out having to resort to a larger custom panel.

This is an option using two G3X 7" EFIS units with two ADAHRS (gyros) for redundancy. This setup has some advantages but I found that I didn't care for the smaller display compared to the 10" EFIS. 

The final configuration I looked at is below. The combination of the 10" and 7" EFIS are nice but they don't quite leave enough space on the panel for all the other various switches and controls that need to be there. I'm still thinking about it though.

The following pictures are to document the BRS parachute handle install: