Labels

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Started fitting left fuel tank: 5.7 hours

Getting the fuel tank fitted involved several rounds of temporarily attaching and removing the tank. Then I drilled the pilot holes for the screws in the joint plate. The object was to get a smooth transition between the tank and the other skins n the wing. I initially had some "pillowing" of the skin around the leading edge joint plate (which appears to be a common occurrence).

I ended up eventually adding additional screws to the joint plate to hold the skin more snug to the joint plate. This is one of the options used by other builders.

I also drilled the holes in the tank brackets for the 3/16 bolts that hold the tanks to the spar.

Wing tank / leading edge in place:

 

Using a modified rivet fan to locate my additional screw holes for the joint plate: